Jump Trading QR Intern Interview

As titled. I applied and got an interview invite back from the HR.
Anyone know what kinds of questions are expected and what good materials I should use to prepare for both the coding round and the technical rounds?

Hi there! For the coding part, expect lc medium-hard level as they tend to expect decently high level of coding ability. For the technical rounds, since it is a QR position, they expect you to know math, stats and even probability very well. The topics covered can include:

• Linear algebra (matrices, eigenvalues, inverse matrices, principal components/SVD analysis etc.)
  • Statistics basics (expectation, conditional expectation, various common distributions, variance, etc.)
  • Statistical modelling (linear regression and all the derivations, classification, clustering, SVM, etc.)
  • Probability (stochastic calculus, martingales, stopping time, Markov chains etc.)
  • Optimization (Lagrangian, dual/primal problems etc.)
  • Brainteasers! (check out A Practical Guide To Quantitative Finance Interviews by Xinfeng Zhou as a starting point) - a lot of problems related to combinatorics, expected value, Bayes
  • Coding - aside from the actual problem, they may ask about DSA

We also have previous posts on quant interview prep in general if you want more resources. @quantGuru will also be very happy to help if you have any more questions!

1 Like

Thank you so much! This is super helpful!
I have some other questions about culture/wlb/etc that are more specific to Jump – are you by any chance familiar with the company or know anyone I can reach out to know more?

Glad it was helpful! I haven’t personally worked there but I hear really good things about WLB and culture in general at Jump Trading, considering the nature of the firm. General consensus is that WLB is great (although subject to a bit of variation depending on your team/desk). The people there are very smart and interesting and the hierarchy isn’t very top down. One of the pros is that you get to mostly work on things you’re interested in and comp is very competitive as well. I’m sorry I can’t offer more insight.

2 Likes