Is WLB that important when you're young?

I go back and forth on this a lot since I’m still very young and far from thinking about settling down, having a family. But so many of my friends are choosing internships or full time jobs based on WLB and company culture. The only thing I really need is time to exercise and see friends once in a while. If you’re not going to work hard in your 20s, when will you do it? What does everyone think?

I agree with you that 20s is the best time to be working hard. However one point you’re overlooking is with things like IB, your WLB doesn’t really improve that much as you get promoted. You’re still working very long hours it’s just the nature of your job changes. That’s why good WLB from the start can be very important. Also you may not realize how important WLB is until you’re actually in a job where you don’t have time to do any of the things you enjoy.

Are you sure that’s true? I’ve heard that lots of MDs don’t actually do that much actual work except manage people. Maybe that’s an IB specific thing?

I don’t really have that many hobbies, interests or friends for that matter so I’m not too worried lmao