European vs American bank

Applying and interviewing at both but can anyone share their thoughts on what it’s like to work at an American vs European bank? I know it’s a generalization but there must be a difference in culture and all that. Thanks in advanced!

I’ve worked for both European and American banks and I’d say the main difference is American banks are have less bureaucracy and it’s easier to get things done. I mean it in a way where there aren’t as many hoops to jump through just to get something done as American banks tend to be a lot more direct and pragmatic. People in American banks are also more laid back, likely because European banks were slapped with a lot of scandals and fines because of rogue employees (as well as tax scandals and such) and so the banks are more cautious. Therefore, there are more restrictions on the employees for instance you can’t use your phone on the trading floor, except for specific phone areas.

Don’t get me wrong, a lot of European banks are great but recently American banks have performed better. My personal experience was a lot better at American banks compared to European. But obviously there will be people who disagree with this so take it with a grain of salt.

1 Like

I sometimes felt like I was being surveilled when I interned at a European bank lol