Analyst and associate base pay increase

i heard some investment banks increased analyst and associate base pay. is this true and does this apply to market analysts/associates as well?

yeah that’s correct, several investment banks such as JP, Barclays and Citi increased analysts base by $15k and associates by $20k, but only in investment banking. I was talking to some people in finance who said this will take some time to be put in place and it certainly wonn’t apply to markets/sales & trading juniors, sadly :frowning: , at least not now

2 Likes

I see…that sucks but thanks for the info!

Hi- what’s the current breakdown (before supposed increase) of the analyst and associate base pays at different levels in markets and IB at bulge bracket banks?

so for Tier 1 investment banks, or bulge brackets, there is a slight difference in base within each title, but a significance jump between analyst and associate:

• analyst 1: $85k
  • analyst 2: $90k
  • analyst 3: $95k
  • associate 1: $125k
  • associate 2: $140k
  • associate 3: $150-160k

one thing to note that associate 3 base salary can vary, really depends on how long the person was associate for.

1 Like

thanks :slight_smile: also is it usually a year between each promotion ?

Yeah it’s usually 1 year between promotions, but really depends on when you start. Some people join as analyst 1,2 or 3 mid year around may/june, so they only do 6 months, because all promotions happen around jan/feb.

i heard from some friends banks might extend the same base increase to S&T analysts and associates, is that true?

1 Like

Goldman Sachs Is Giving Entry-Level Bankers a Nearly 30% Raise - WSJ it seems like this applies to all analysts?

1 Like

nothing confirmed yet, it seems like there is some talk about increasing base salaries for markets analysts and associates as well. The issue is the starting salary for junior in S&T was already lower than major tech companies like FAANG, and now it’s also lower than their M&A counterparts, and it’s getting more expensive to live in large metro cities like NYC. At some point, S&T will have to catch up

1 Like

As expected and mentioned above, S&T will have to catch up to IB in terms of base salary. JPM just announced yesterday the increase in their S&T analyst base pay:

• First year analyst: $100,000, up from $85,000
  • Second-year analyst: $105,000, up from $90,000
  • Third-year analyst: $110,000 up from $95,000

Apparently, this will take effect starting Feb.

3 Likes

awesome, thanks for the info!