Advice for Quant or SWE

Hi guys, I’m still a junior but I’m torn between a software engineer path (preferably at big N) and a quant career path. I know for the former I may have to consider a graduate degree. I have a few questions about the two:

1. What’s the TC for both in say 10 years after graduation?
  2. What’s the WLB for say FAANG vs a top hedge fund?
  3. What job would bring more personal satisfaction (if such thing exists in a job)?

Btw my background is in cs but I’ve also taken a few math classes.

Never too early to start thinking about it! You’re correct, many quant positions will prefer or even require graduate degrees (especially the top hedge funds like Jane Street, Two Sigma etc.) and also keep in mind being a quant is different at a bank vs a HF. There are also different kinds of quants like quant researcher, quant trader, quant developer etc. Your background may be more suited for a quant developer. But to answer your questions, here are just my thoughts:

1. Your forward at a top HF is likely higher, it’s possible to earn ~$500k TC in 5-10 years. There can be variation this but if you perform well and you work at one of the higher paying top firms, it’s very possible. This is maybe achievable as a SWE, but maybe less likely.
  2. This is very firm dependent too. FAANG is famous for not having great WLB especially as a junior but there are certain HF/prop shops that have more chill work environments than others.
  3. Again, very individual and dependent on what you like. If you really like solving problems and not just work for the goal of money, perhaps SWE is preferable. That being said there will be less fulfilling positions in both choices.

I would say if you’re interviewing for both, take whatever internship you end up getting as a way to help you make the decision between the two.

1 Like

Thanks a lot for this! Which hedge funds are more chill than others?